Sunday, September 7, 2008

Watch out your doppelganger!!

When I was child, I saw some horrified movie, “Doppelganger”. It was really shocked to me, so I still remember some of scenes. The movie story was that if somebody found their own doppelganger, one of them will be die. So my brother and I always look around to avoid our own doppelganger.

Finally I overcome that movie’s doppelganger, however, as time goes by now I scared my virtual doppelganger. According to “Fast Talk: Getting A(second) Life” the writer says that “IBM will immerse thousands of new employees in company culture through its virtual doppelganger.” It means that IBM will use “Second Life” in company to train their interns. It was my first time hearing about “Second Life.” I decided to download the program, because I don’t know anything about it. It was really interesting process to register the “second life”.

(It is my Second Life Avatar & Second Name)

Then soon I became surprised about its elaborate system. I knew I'll be addicted to it the moment I click the log in button, because I have some experiences that I couldn't stand during my offline life since I really want to join the game. In other points, it can be a good tools to train someone's interaction and social ability. Like "Fast Talk: Getting A (Second) Life" said,

In the United States, we're using Second Life to create a mentoring community. We have multigenerational workforces, and this is a way to get together, virtually meet, and connect.

But I disagree with this point. In simple words, Second Life is not our real life. It is just the world that we want to be and we have to be. Personality in Second Life is not our real personality, because when we are living in Second Life we can do anything we want that we can't do in our real world (insulting someone, cheating with someone,,,) . These acts done by believing that other users can't recognize us in real world.
In "Softwar lets you create cybertwin", Liesl Capper, co founder of RelevanceNow, which built MyCyberTwin, describes the software as an extension of your personality online. "It can talk to friends when you're sleeping or tell people where the party is Saturday night," she said. I really disagree with this opinion, because it is just our computer that talking with my friends. This fact is more scared me than Second Life. It make us can not possible to control our online second life. It also can be privacy problem.
That is just company's marketing strategy to sell as much as product through online. I think the most important thing is that we should just enjoy the program knowing the fact that it is not our world and even ourselves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I partly agree with you. I have not had avata or have not joined second life. When you mentioned about doppelganger, it made a lot of sense to me. We do not need a second life which is pretty much similar to doppelganger. I think we spend too much time using internet to decorate facebook or second life. We can do more constructive activities instead of decorating second life in syber space which is not real.