Sunday, October 26, 2008

Invisible team

When I was in South Korea last year, I actually did virtual team in my business class.


In my home university, they have some online classes that professor appear on the computer screen then we have to log in the class and listen what he/she said. So we don't need to go to school, I think it saves our time and money.

Last year I heard the class "Principles of Marketing" on the PC screen. In that class, professor made groups and one leader for team project, then he made online space to exchange our opinion. Even though we were living in the same city, not that long distance, we use the internet as our main communication tool. We met in the MSN messenger or NATE ON(Korean famous messenger because it is connected to Cyworld) once a week. Team leader assign a part of the work and I researched my jobs during the week, then integrated our works together.


(He was my Marketing professor, and the class was really fun. Actually he was fun)

According to the "Coworking is (also) : Working Together Online", the writer said about various kinds of coworking communication tools.

With document sharing provided by mainstream services like Google, video chat
supported by Yahoo, conference calling, combined with chat and peer-to-peer file
transfer available for free via Skype, audio and video blogging, coworking tools
are becoming more and more ubiquitous, and people are beginning to use them with as little forethought as picking up a telephone - a telephone which, of course, is Internet-compatible, GPS-enabled, and can capture photos and video.

Because we were all students, we couldn't use such various tools for communication. But through the internet, I just uploaded my assignment whenever I wanted and met them without any traffic expenses. I think this kind of team is more effective and can cut cost a lot.

My team made good project and achieved our goal successfully. I actually met our team member once, face-to-face, in another class. Because he's name was rare name in Korea, I can recognized him easily when a professor called his name. I knew that he also recognized me, because of my rare name. It was so embarrassed!!!!

4 comments:

Na Rae said...

Haha, I like your name, it pretty and unique.

Anyway, Korean student are very familiar with virtual team working. I also had similar experience as you.We use on-line community for team project, we can work on whenever we want, and it is pretty convenience. But sometimes, we failed communication, so some parts of project overlapped or missed. It makes everything more complicated...

IgnacioQuevedo said...

That is pretty interesting. We are progressing so much when it comes to virtual technology. I never really considered taking online classes because I thought they wouldn't be as useful as an in-person course. However, they seem to be just as efficient because of the great communication such as MSN messenger that you mentioned.

Christina said...

Your virtual class seemed like a great experience. I think it's interesting that you had class over video. I think video helps with understanding. Like Na rae said, I believe communication is often a problem of virtual teams. It seems your experience worked out well because each member had specific tasks and their we're clear roles. I can see virtual teams and classes being more popular in the future - they do make everything more convenient and cheaper.

onyee4ejimuda said...

@Ignacio and Christina,
That's really a fun way to learn . The only sojourn I have had into the virtual world was the one in second life. As Narae said, Koreans are very familiar with this kind of team work. It would be a long while for my country to get there but I'll keep my fingers crossed.